Today is National Night Out Day
Today is a day for us to take back our streets. It is the 28th Annual National Night Out, a night for communities through out the United States to get out and a night focused on crime prevention and drug awareness. To be frank and honest, I have never really been aware of this event in my neighborhood. I live in Cleveland and it is a shame for my neighborhood is in desperate need of this type of focus. This is the first year I noticed any publicity regarding this great idea. I happened to notice a sign promoting it outside my local Target store. Target is a sponsor for tonight’s event. According to the event’s web site it is intended to:
- Heighten crime and drug prevention awareness;
- Generate support for, and participation in, local anticrime programs;
- Strengthen neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships; and
- Send a message to criminals letting them know that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back.
The event is to be celebrated with block parties, cookouts, visits from local police and sheriff departments, parades, exhibits, flashlight walks, contests, and youth programs. The same web site stated that over 27 million individuals participated in 2010.
For today’s artist we found a Canadian Christian hip hop musician, X-CLX (which is pronounced “X Clicks”) whose song “Night Out” seems to be a perfect fit for today’s holiday. I believe it may have actually been written for the day but could not find anything on the web to indicate such. I found this positive hip hopper over at Mevio’s Music Alley and you can also find him at MySpace. His music can be purchase at Amazon and .
- National Night Out (rcasa.wordpress.com)
- Tuesday’s National Night Out aims to heighten crime- and drug-prevention awareness (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- National Night Out (hotspotorlando.wordpress.com)
- Neighborhood events planned for National Night Out in Black Diamond, Covington and Maple Valley (pnwlocalnews.com)