Tech Net News and Opinion
Welcome to this week’s episode of Tech Net News and Opinion. The week we shall discuss Gen Con 2014, a man not quite legally dead, some Chicago politics, whether satire and fake news need a tag, facial recognition abuse by the police, a dumb criminal using Siri, a recent court decision regarding piracy and ex parte, Linux in Munich, music, technology, a new card reader,”oragamic” solar panels, and smart tattoos.
If you have never been to a Gen Con, Lumpy will spend almost one-quarter of the show playing some of the artists who performed there and talking about his experience. Lumpy has never attended a Gen Con before. There are a few things he knows for sure:
- He had a great time
- He got many interviews
- He learned much
- He has every intention of returning in 2015
We opened the show with a few tracks from some of the artists who were at Gen Con:
Both of the artists above are members of The FuMP. Then we got into the news. Thanks to Through Gamer Goggles Lumpy got to attend Gen Con:
- Lumpy rambles about some stuff from Gen Con 2014:
After about thirty minutes, we got on to some other news.
- An Ohio Man is Slightly Less Than Dead
- Kickback for Red Lights – Chicago style politics in Chicago
- Satire Tag Needed
- Viking Ship Fake Story
- Facial Recognition taken to a whole new level
- Idiot Asks Siri Where to Hide a Body
- Wiping Pirate Sites ExParte
- Munich Not Happy with Linux
- Read a Card with Phone
- 3D Comet Imagery
- Origamic Solar Panels
- Smart Tattoo
To close out the show, we went with The Well Dressed Hobbit by Marc Gunn who is also known as “The Celtfather”. Marc is a huge advocate of Celtic music so please check out the celticmusic.org web site.
Remember listeners, we encourage listener participation. We do the news every Monday from 8-10 PM EST with the exception of the second Monday of each month and legal US holidays. Feel free to get into geeekshed.net IRC and join us in #indienation to get details on how to join us.
UPDATE – Brian had asked me if I knew this year’s Gen Con attendance. I did not know and even checked while drafting this post… I could not find it. However, it was very recently released that it grew by over 14% from the previous year and hit 56,614 unique attendees! I thought it seemed packed.
- Marc Gunn – A Celtic Artist to Perform at Gen Con (indienation.fm)
- Giant Carcassonne breaks out at Gen Con! (geeknative.com)
- Independent Game Companies at the 2014 Gen Con (indienation.fm)
- Facebook Testing ‘Satire’ Tags for Sites Like The Onion (mukeshbalani.wordpress.com)
- Is Munich City About to Switch Back to Windows from Linux? (omgubuntu.co.uk)