Archive : Category

2014.04.10 – Pick of the Day – Today is ASPCA Day!

POSTED ON April 10th  - POSTED IN Community, music, news, Opinion, Pick of the Day, Podcasts, rock
Play

Today is American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Day

Today is ASPCA day!  ASPCA is short for American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.  You can find out more about how to get involved over at their website.  Personally I am an animal lover and am completely in favor actions and laws to protect animals.

A Band Called Quinn to Host a Remix Concert

POSTED ON April 8th  - POSTED IN Community, Concert, Entertainment, independent music, Live Show, music, pop

A Remix Contest

Cover - Forget About It

Cover – Forget About It

I received and email yesterday from Louise Quinn.  She was letting me know that the band, A Band Called Quinn, is hosting a remix concert for their song, Forget About It, which is one of the tracks from the multimedia show Bidding Time. Bidding Time is a show for genXers and supported by Creative Scotland.  You can check out show dates at bidingtimermix.com

If  interested in entering the contest, you can listen to the original mix here.  The “stems” for you to remix with are available here.  The closing date for this contest is April 18th.  You will email your entry to info@abandcalledquinn.com.  Last but not least, quoting her email “The winning remix shall be released on Tromolo Records & the winning remixer will receive tickets for the show, a tour round the set & drinks with cast & crew as well as their very own rabbit mask!”

The FuMPFest 2014

POSTED ON April 8th  - POSTED IN Comedy, Community, Concert, Entertainment, Festivals, independent music, music, news
Elmo and Bert play the Ramones at FUMP MusicFe...

Elmo and Bert play the Ramones at FUMP MusicFest #iwannaeatacupcake (Photo credit: nworbleahcim)

More than just another festival… FuMPFest is near!

English: Dr. Demento at B.B. King Blues Club &...

English: Dr. Demento at B.B. King Blues Club & Grill in New York, NY on August 15, 2004. Photo by David Rossi User:Elvis9227 (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

I know many of you love The FuMP (,short for Funny Music Project).  For those of you who are unaware, The FuMP is a hilarious troop of assorted comedy musicians.  If you are a regular listener to Indie Nation, I am certain you have heard at least some of their music.

I am sorry that I got word of this event after the early registration deadline.  However, I think it is still a steal at the regular price…. especially if you take into the account that Dr. Demento will the guest of honor. This year’s fest will be in Wheeling, IL on June 20-22 and registration is 45 dollars.

Concerts, panels and games! Seriously, how can you beat that?  For more information and to register go to FuMPFest.com.  I am sure that once you check out the schedule, you shall be as enticed by the event as I.

A Trash Secret – A Musical Junk Kickstarter Project

An Interesting Take on Trash

I got wind of this via Cory Doctorow over at Boing! Boing!  I would encourage you to simply check out the 6 minute video because the creator of this project not only explains it well but you can see, hear and feel his passion.  He also shares many of the “inventions” he is already using for his Kickstarter Project, A Trash Secret.

2013.11.08 – An Interview with Symfinity

Play

Spotlight on Symfinity and Intangible Dreams

Symfinity - Intangible Dreams - coverLumpy was completely blown away when he first checked out the first full length album by the five piece band, Symfinity.  If you like symphonic rock music mixed and recorded technically as well as composed, as in both excellent,  you’ll love this album, Intangible Dreams.

Street Magic With A Powerful Twist

POSTED ON March 13th  - POSTED IN Community, Entertainment, Public Service

There are so many bad things that happen in the world today, that when you see something genuinely good, there are almost no words to describe the beauty.

You do not need to speak the language, to see the warmth,beauty, love, and kindness of strangers. Watch as a young street magician, makes a homeless mans day. The smile on that mans face will surely bring tears to your eyes, as it did mine. After finishing his trick, and making the world just a little bit brighter, the young man simply walks away.

There is a story that has been around for many years, about a wise man sitting on the beach, when he notices a child that looks like they are dancing on the beach. He has to see the joyousness just a little closer, but when he approaches the child, he sees that the boy is not dancing, but instead  throwing starfish back into the ocean. The wise man asks the boy “Why are you throwing them into the ocean?” The boy responds “The tide is going out and the sun is getting hotter, if I do not save them, they will surely die” The wise man thinks upon this for a moment and then says “There are miles and miles of beach, surely you do not believe you can make a difference?” As the young boy picks up another starfish returning it to the ocean, he simply replies “It made a difference for that one.”

How do we go about the monumental task of changing the world? We do it by reaching out, with kindness, hope, and love. Touching one heart, one soul at a time.

What Do Your Facebook “LIKES” Say About You?

POSTED ON March 12th  - POSTED IN Community, Entertainment, news, Things that make you go hmmm

With an accuracy of between 75-88% women being on the lower end, research scientists from the University of Cambridge along with Microsoft Research can tell a lot about you. How much, and what you may wonder.

Based upon “LIKES” on the popular social networking site Facebook, researchers can tell, everything from your political affiliation, your intelligence level to sexual orientation, ethnicity, religious views and illicit drug use. Research was conducted by studying the “LIKES” of 58,000 volunteers.

Researchers found that those with a higher intelligence were more likely to “LIKE” things that concerned thunderstorms, science, the Colbert Report, and even curly fries.  While those with a lower intelligence were more inclined to “LIKE”  Sephora,  Harley-Davidson “I Love Being a Mom”, and Lady Antebellum.

Predictors of male homosexuality included the NoH8 campaign as well as Mac cosmetics and Wicked the Musical, while the predictors of male heterosexuality included the Wu-Tang clan, Shaq, and “Being confused after waking up from naps”

Researchers found that unlike their male counter parts, women’s sexuality was much harder to pinpoint but, with a 75% accuracy that’s still not too shabby.

So what do your Facebook “LIKES” say about you? As it turns out, quite a bit.

Play Any Game With This Much Sportsmanship And Both Teams Win

POSTED ON February 24th  - POSTED IN Community, news, videos

In this day and age, it seems that almost everybody is out for themselves. It’s a dog eat dog world right? Battle of the fittest?

Sometimes in life, a video is all we need to remind us that there are people who are genuinely great human beings, that truly care about others and as the old adage goes “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”  This clip is from “On the Road” with Steve Hartman, and I am not ashamed to say that it brought tears to my eyes. I hope that it will do for you what it has done for me, and restore a bit of your faith in humanity. Games are not always about winning, sometimes they are about things that are far more profound. Things that touch the heart, inspire us to do better, to be better, to love more, to laugh, and to not be afraid to cry happy tears. Watch, enjoy, and if this story has touched your heart as it has mine, share.