Archive : Category

To This Day Project- They Called Him Pork Chop

POSTED ON February 20th  - POSTED IN Community, news, Opinion, Public Service, videos

When I was a little girl, I was bullied.

I was called ugly, and made fun of because my body developed much faster than the other girls. I was told I stuffed my bra, and if you can believe it my pants, because my butt was bigger. I was teased relentlessly, I was a freak, unnatural, different. I was an outcast.

Sticks and stones, the rhyme we all hear as children, is a lie. The fact is that words can, and do hurt, far more than a broken bone, the bone will heal, but the scars from being bullied still remain in our hearts. Even as a grown woman, I often found myself thinking about these words, am I good enough, am I strong enough, am I worthy of being loved?

The answer is YES, a resounding Yes.

There comes a time in all of our lives when we realize that the bullies are WRONG. You must know that they are wrong. Believe it with all of your heart and soul. They are WRONG.

You are who you were meant to be, you are perfect in your imperfection. You are beautiful, you are unique. There is not, has not, nor will there ever be another soul on this earth exactly like you. That is not only special, but worthy of being celebrated.  The words that bullies use against you, they hurt, but you must realize that the words that others throw at you, do NOT define you. You define yourself. Judging others speaks far more about the character of the person judging, than the person being judged.

Define yourself, be who you are, do not let anyone take that away from you. Realize that there is no such thing as normal.  For there to be a normal, there has to be some sort of status quo. We are all different, even identical twins only share the looks of the other. We are all individuals, with the right to express who we are. Do not allow anyone to make you feel less than you are.

Define yourself, and do not apologize if your definition of who you are does not meet the expectations of who someone else thinks you should be. You are the one who decides who you are, and whatever you choose, it is the right choice for you.  Who you are is exactly who you were meant to be.

In the To This Day Project, Shane Koyczan tackles the tough subject of bullying, in a beautiful way.

He let’s you in on the most painful parts of his childhood, but in the end, he realizes as we all should; that we can and will overcome bullying, with truth, beauty, and love.

If you do not like what you see in the mirror, get a better mirror, for you are beautiful, regardless of what anyone else says.

Buckcherry – New Album – Released in USA and Canada 19 February

POSTED ON February 18th  - POSTED IN Community, Entertainment, metal, music, news, NSFW, rock

Buckcherry to Release Confessions on February 19, 2013

Buckcherry's Confessions

Buckcherry’s Confessions

I am very thankful that Century Media, a label who has the goal of bringing you the finest metal in the world,  sent us a pre-release of Buckcherry’s new album, Confessions  And I mean really, really, really thankful.  While we tend not to push much main stream music on our station, this album is must have for your metal collection.  It is going to take dozens of listens for me to pick a favorite track.

This thirteen track album, conceptually about the Seven Deadly Sins,  is one of the best releases I have heard in years.  Kudos to the band for keeping with the signature style that we all love and simultaneously showing diversity.  Naturally, I expect Buckcherry to release quality but, in my opinion, they really stepped it up with this release.  I am not totally familiar with all six of this band’s releases but this is the best work I have ever heard from them and deserves the highest praise possible.

This album is to be released in the US and Canada on February 19.  Mark your calendar and be sure and get this album… you will not regret it.  You can check out this release by listening to the Podomatic Episode featuring the band.

Help Some Amazing Kids Get Christmas Presents!!!

POSTED ON December 20th  - POSTED IN Christmas, Community, news, videos

Help some amazingly cute kids get Christmas presents this year!!!!
All you have to do is watch this 1:12 long video, the contest ends today and they are only 200 views away from winning!!! Come on guys!!! I know you can do it! Do it for the babies!!!!!! Please watch and share! ♥

In The Darkness There Is Light; Newtown Connecticut, We Love You!

POSTED ON December 18th  - POSTED IN Community, news, Public Service

For the past four days, I have been trying to make sense of the senseless. There are no words that can adequately describe the pain in my heart after hearing of the tragedy that struck Newtown, Connecticut. Twenty-six people lost their lives, among them were twenty children and six adults.  The question of why, has crossed my mind many times, but the short of it is, there is no why. Sometimes in life no matter how hard we try to make sense of things, they just do not make sense, and never will.

I will not give credence to the man who created this fear, this pain, this tragedy, by speaking his name. I ask that you all strike his name from your memories as well. Instead I would ask that you remember the heroes. The people who in the face of danger, did everything they could to protect the children, some like Vicki Soto, giving their lives, so that others may live.  Vicki was only 27 years old, but when she heard gunfire in her school, she didn’t stop to think about herself, instead she took the children in her care and hid them all, in closets, in cupboards  and anywhere else that she could find; then she stood and waited for the inevitable. She stood and waited for the gunman to enter her classroom.

I do not know the fear that was in her mind at the time, but I do know that she, is one of the bravest souls I have ever heard of. When the gunman came, she stood and faced him, and when he asked where the children were, she did not give in, she told him her children were in gym class. The gunman then shot and killed Vicki, her body was found huddled near the closet door, where she hid most of her students, protecting them until the very end.

Vicki was not alone in her heroism.

Principal  Dawn Hochsprung gave her life trying to disarm the man that tore their world apart, upon hearing of the intruder in her school, she charged the man and tried to disarm him. Everyone that knew Dawn described her as a happy person, someone who honestly with her entire being, loved children. In her actions that fateful day, she proved just how far that love extended.

Maryrose Kristopik, ushered her small wards into a closet, before pulling a bookcase in front of the door, and locking it tight. She told them that the bad guys were there, but she promised the good guys would come soon, she is quoted as saying “We hid in the closet, we held hands, we hugged.” In those moments when she did not know whether they were going to live or die, she held the children close, told them to smile, and that she wanted them to know, that she loved them. In an interview Maryrose said “As a teacher, I wasn’t sure if I should be saying such things.” As a mother I thank you Maryrose, for in the face of danger, when you were watching over so many little ones, you gave them hope, and showed them love and compassion. They will, I am sure, remember your words until the very end.

I ran across a poem the other day, that helped me cope with this tragedy, in a way that at first, I didn’t think possible, and though I know not the author, I would like to share it with you in hopes that it will help your heart heal as well.

Twas’ 11 days before Christmas, around 9:38
when 20 beautiful children stormed through heaven’s gate.
Their smiles were contagious; their laughter filled the air,
…they could hardly believe all the beauty they saw there.
They were filled with such joy; they didn’t know what to say,
they remembered nothing of what had happened earlier that day.
“Where are we?” asked a little girl, as quiet as a mouse.

“This is heaven.” declared a small boy, “We’re spending Christmas at God’s house.”
When what to their wondering eyes did appear,
but Jesus, their savior, the children gathered near.
He looked at them and smiled, and they smiled just the same,
then He opened His arms and He called them by name.
And in that moment was joy that only heaven can bring
those children all flew into the arms of their King
As they lingered in the warmth of His embrace,
one small girl turned and looked at Jesus’ face.
As if He could read all the questions she had,
He gently whispered to her, “I’ll take care of mom and dad.”
Then He looked down on earth, the world far below,
He saw all of the hurt, the sorrow, and woe.
Then He closed His eyes and He outstretched His hand,
“Let My power and presence re-enter this land!”
“May this country be delivered from the hands of fools”,
“I’m taking back my nation, I’m taking back my schools!”
Then He and the children stood up without a sound,
“Come now my children, let me show you around.”
Excitement filled the space, some skipped and some ran,
all displaying enthusiasm that only a small child can.
And I heard Him proclaim as He walked out of sight,
“In the midst of this darkness, I AM STILL THE LIGHT”

In the midst of the darkness I am still the light. Those are some very powerful words, they remind us, to look for the good in every situation. Even in the darkness of the events that happened at Sandy Hook, there were heroes, the teachers, the first responders who thought nothing of themselves, instead putting the lives of the children and their families ahead of their own, knowing that there were others that simply needed them more. They paid no attention, to their own feelings of grief, or horror as they entered the scene. They simply went in, and did everything in their power, to save as many as they could.
– Charlotte Bacon, 2/22/06
– Daniel Barden, 9/25/05
– Rachel Davino, 7/17/83
– Olivia Engel, 7/18/06
– Josephine Gay, 12/11/05
– Ana M. Marquez-Greene, 04/04/06
– Dylan Hockley, 3/8/06
– Dawn Hochsprung, 06/28/65
– Madeleine F. Hsu, 7/10/06
– Catherine V. Hubbard, 6/08/06
– Chase Kowalski, 10/31/05
– Jesse Lewis, 6/30/06
– James Mattioli , 3/22/06
– Grace McDonnell, 12/04/05
– Anne Marie Murphy, 07/25/60
– Emilie Parker, 5/12/06
– Jack Pinto, 5/06/06
– Noah Pozner, 11/20/06
– Caroline Previdi, 9/07/06
– Jessica Rekos, 5/10/06
– Avielle Richman, 10/17/06
– Lauren Rousseau, 6/1982 (full date of birth not specified)
– Mary Sherlach, 2/11/56
– Victoria Soto, 11/04/85
– Benjamin Wheeler, 9/12/06
– Allison N. Wyatt, 7/03/06
You will not be forgotten, your memories will live on through all of those that loved you. In all of those that have been touched by that senseless act, by one very disturbed man. Your memories and names will forever be immortalized in the minds of people around the world. We will honor you by remembering, the heroes, the fallen, the brave souls that gave up everything, for the love of children that were not their own; and the children themselves, so young and innocent. We will remember your names, your actions, the way you put everyone else ahead of you, so that more children would not suffer, and more families would not be torn apart.
Remember always, that even in darkness there exists light, that even in the face of evil, there are those who are good, and will do anything to protect the innocent. Remember the victims, their families, and those that survived because their lives will be forever changed by this one act, on this one day.
The United States Post Office has set up a P.O. Box, especially for the survivors and the families of the victims, if you would like to send words of love and hope, to help those affected by this senseless act of crime you can send all cards, letters, words of love, hope and encouragement to:
 Messages of Condolence for Newtown,
P.O. Box 3700,
Newtown, CT 06470
We use the word hero, altogether too often. It is days like this, tragedies, that strike without warning, that reminds us who the true heroes amongst us are. The next time you hear someone say such and such baseball player is a hero for hitting a home-run, I ask only that you tell them: Yeah, that’s pretty cool, but he is no Vicki Soto.
All of my love, now and forever, stay strong my lovelies, and God willing, stay safe.
<//Update//>
New reports are confirming that some of Miss Soto’s class did indeed die in the gunfire, however, that does not discount her heroic actions. We at Indie Nation send our heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of all of the victims, may they rest in peace.

The Root Kit – A Kickstarter Film Idea

POSTED ON December 6th  - POSTED IN Community, Entertainment, Movies, New Media Order, news, Opinion, videos

To Portray Hackers More Realistically

Kickstarter

Kickstarter (Photo credit: Scott Beale)

I caught word of this one via Boing! Boing!  A movie about hackers that would more accurately depict them.  I was enticed enough to surf to the movie’s Kickstarter Page.  I thought well enough of the trailer to embed it below. The Root Kit does look to be a movie I would want to see.  I also think I like the short description:

“Rogue computer hackers discover a plot to monitor everyone on the Internet. They fight back.”

They don’t have much time left and a good way to go.  Please, if you can, give this one  a thought, a tweet or a few dollars.

Thomas Reed Smith and Thanxmas

Thanxmas, Better than Thanksgiving, Better than Christmas, because it is both…

Musician performs at open mic at the No Name b...

Musician performs at open mic at the No Name bar in Sausalito, CA. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

If any of you want to see a small show in a venue with totally kewl atmosphere and charm, try and get to Rider’s Inn in Painesville, Ohio this Friday.  Thomas Reed Smith, one the artists featured on our bot and/or podcasts here at the station, will be playing there December 7th. And, fear not, he is bringing the chicken.

The atmosphere is cozy, comfy and homey.  The music is always good.

Worth the Wait Living Up to Their Name

Taking a Break to Make it Even Better

I like it when bands make good choices.  Worth the Wait, in my opinion, is doing just that.  According to a post at their Facebook page, they are going take a bit of a break.  Unlike many bands who do so due to conflict within, they are doing so for all the right reasons.  This band is taking a break for all the right reasons.  They are focusing on making their “come back” to mean a better band.

New Zombie Movie Funded by Indie Go Go Kick Start

POSTED ON November 27th  - POSTED IN Community, Entertainment, Movies, New Media Order, news, Opinion, videos

New Zombie Film Describes as Mad Max plus Zombies!

English: A participant of a Zombie walk, Asbur...

English: A participant of a Zombie walk, Asbury Park NJ, USA. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

I must warn you I am extremely biased on this one.  First, I love Boing! Boing!  Second, I love Cory Doctorow who pointed this one out in a post at Boing! Boing!  I love independent film.  I also loved Mad Max and I love zombie movies… Admit it, even if they are bad, they are still good.

So how could an independent-indie-go-go-funded-zombies-meets-Mad-Max movie ever go wrong?  Well, when I first got wind of this, they still needed some kick starter cash and, by the time of this draft, they reached their goal.  I guess that means at least a few others feel the same way.

On Thanksgiving We At IndieNation.FM Are Thankful For….

POSTED ON November 22nd  - POSTED IN Community, Holiday, news, site, Technology, Thanksgiving

We at Indie Nation are thankful for all of those that are doing their part to make this world, and our lives better. Whether you are fighting for equality, or fighting to help your struggling community, we are thankful for you.  We are also thankful for the people who work hard to make it possible not only for some to fight for improvements in their country, but also bring their stories to the world.

Stories like that of 15 year old Kelvin Doe. Kelvin lives in Sierra Leon, the place he lives has electricity about one day of the month on average. He at the age of 13 designed and built his own F.M. radio transmitter to give Sierra Leon their first and only radio station, built generators to help power his city, and  he did it by finding broken electronics in the garbage,  figuring them out on his own, and then reverse engineering his end product.

Cinderfella by Todrick Hall Rewrites A Classic For A Great Cause

POSTED ON July 25th  - POSTED IN Community, Entertainment, Government, Law, Law, Movies, music, news, parody, videos

Todrick Hall has rewritten the classic fairy tale Cinderella

In Cinderfella Todrick tells the classic fairy tale from a young Gay man’s point of view, with an amazing cast, Cinderfella will give you goosebumps throughout the video with the blend of 40’s classics and Disney music as well as some of today’s hits sung to an original beat. The message of this video is clear, and powerful (and if for some odd reason you miss the point Todrick makes sure you get it at the end of the video).

IT’S TIME LEGALIZE LOVE!

Queers United Has listings of LGBT Advocacy Groups by State

Wipe out Homophobia has an extensive listing of suicide help numbers as well as a way to contact them by email

Just remember my Lovelies, you are NOT alone.

You ARE Loved.

You are PERFECT exactly as you are.

It’s Okay to be Gay, or Lesbian, or Bi, or Pansexual, or Transsexual or what ever you may be

I Love you all