Archive : Category

Frank Zappa Greeted by US Navy Marching Band

POSTED ON December 22nd  - POSTED IN classic rock, Community, music, rock, videos

I agree with the thoughts of Alex Winter and Open Culture, many may have forgotten Frank Zappa

. That is sad. I shall always remember him as one of the most brilliant musicians of all time. His dark style of lyrics and breaking all the musical rules are simply the surface of his genius. He did all genre of music and it may be next century before we fully comprehend how brilliant his music is.

One great example of his musical genius is the track Rubber Shirt from the Sheik Yerbouti double album. The album became a huge hit when it was censored. The album is full of overdubs and is a masterful mix of songs. The Rubber Shirt track is an example of what Zappa called “Xanochrony”. The song is a mix of different musicians all recorded at different times, time signatures and tempos. The result sounds like a wonderful jazz improv.

Steve Benjamins – Surrender

POSTED ON December 19th  - POSTED IN Community, downtempo, music, news, Opinion, Review, videos

Steve Benjamins

Surrender

We have featured Steve Benjamins at Indie Nation before when I reviewed Sightlines.  You should check out that release and anything else he has done.

I am pleased to see that this talent from Toronto is still pumping out great music. His music could be described as downtempo but Steve is great a mixing it up.  He has a powerful voice and his lyrics paint pictures in your mind and stir your emotions.  Check our Surrender.

Geroge Harrison’s Final Performance

POSTED ON December 15th  - POSTED IN classic rock, Community, Entertainment, music, television, videos

George Harrison’s Final Performance

I rarely meet anyone who totally hates The Beatles. I loved the band. However, I think one of the best things to happen with the breakup is the fact that George Harrison was no longer limited to one or two songs per album. 

I was never aware of the video I am going to share until I happened on it at Open Culture.

The Heimatdamisch Covers Highway to Hell

POSTED ON December 6th  - POSTED IN Community, hard rock, independent music, music, polka, pop, rock, videos

The Heimatdamisch Covers Highway to Hell

The Heimatdamish is an eight-piece-polka-style band that is not shy about doing pop songs. I thought I would share a few of their covers today.

The Heimatdamish – Highway to Hell

They do a great job making interesting-one-set videos which are far from boring. One more video and links after the break.

Modern Music on the Gayageum

POSTED ON December 5th  - POSTED IN classic rock, Community, music, Opinion, rock, traditional

Pink Floyd and Other Modern Music Performed on a Traditional Korean Instrument, The Gayageum

You may have already seen these videos. I noticed this Pink Floyd on the gayageum over at Boing! Boing!, saved it for further exploration and the next day found even more at Open Culture. Videos go viral for many reasons, in this case, the reason is Luna Lee’s talent.

More information, and videos, after the break. Check out how she nails the guitar parts about 2:30 in.

Another Brick in the Wall performed by Luna Lee

The Accidental Birth of “American Woman”

POSTED ON November 19th  - POSTED IN classic rock, Community, music, rock, videos

The Accidental Begining of “American Woman” by The Guess Who

Musicians try to jump on any creative spark as quickly as possible. When I was still composing, I wrote lyrics on napkins and matchbook covers because that was what was handy.

I am not going to spoil the video but listen in as Randy Bachman tells the tale of origin of American Woman.

The Origin of American Woman

Kudos to Open Culture for the find.

Some Recent Music Trends

POSTED ON January 23rd  - POSTED IN Community, independent music, music, news, Opinion

Some Recent Music Trends

Seems that the ever-changing music industry is continuing to do just that. 2015 saw some interesting music trends.  First off, streaming is up and digital downloads are down. Even The Beatles are now available on streams.  In many ways, it makes sense that streaming is up.  You pay for a service, or get it free, and you don’t need to buy each release.  However, vinyl is making a comeback at the same time.

Latchkey Revolt – Driving Hard Rock

POSTED ON January 18th  - POSTED IN Community, hard rock, independent music, music, rock

Latchkey Revolt – High Energy Rock from Singapore

Latchkey Revolt is a quartet from Singapore. They are a hard-hitting rock band that pound the listener with great sound, grooves and solos. I like them much.

DisclaimerSome of the lyrics in this material are explicit. This material is not  safe for work. Listener discretion is advised.

Now if a little language does not bother you, I really suggest you listen on. These artists drive the songs from start to finish. All feature a powerful drive, each having their own individualism, and absolutely nothing dull about any of them.  In my opinion, a great listen.  Check out some Latchkey Revolt after the break.

David Bowie Passes at Only 69 Years Old

POSTED ON January 11th  - POSTED IN alternative, Christmas, Community, Holiday, music, news, pop, rock

David Bowie Passes

David Bowie's star at Holywood.

David Bowie’s star at Holywood. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Numerous sources are reporting the death of the David Bowie. Both his publicist and son have confirmed the grim news. The talented artists had a career that spanned music, film, music video and stage.  He entertained generations of fans. The legend passed only 2 days after his 69th birthday. I am convinced his music will remain timeless and he shall be missed.

The talented artists had a career that spanned music, film, music video and stage.  He entertained generations of fans. The legend passed only 2 days after his 69th birthday.  I thought I would take a moment to share one of my favorite collaborations by the artist.

David Bowie and Bing Crosby

We send our condolences, prayers and thoughts to his family.