An estimated 30%-50% of the general population are affected by insomnia, and 10% have chronic insomnia. I have very bad Insomnia its a hard thing to live with not getting much sleep maybe 2 to 3 hours a night if you are lucky. You get very tired you want to sleep but cannot it gets hard to concentrate after days of not sleeping very much. Insomnia is a symptom, not a stand-alone diagnosis or a disease. By definition, insomnia is “difficulty initiating or maintaining sleep or both” or the perception of poor quality sleep. Insomnia may therefore be due to inadequate quality or quantity of sleep. Insomnia is not defined by a specific number of hours of sleep that one gets, since individuals vary widely in their sleep needs and practices.
Insomnia is generally classified based on the duration of the problem. Not everyone agrees on one definition, but generally:
- symptoms lasting less than one week are classified as transient insomnia,
- symptoms between one to three weeks are classified as short-term insomnia, and
- those longer than three weeks are classified as chronic insomnia
Symptoms of insomnia
Difficulty falling asleep
Waking up often during the night and having trouble going back to sleep
Waking up too early in the morning
Feeling tired upon waking
Sleepiness during the day.
Problems with concentration or memory.
Causes of acute insomnia can include:
Significant life stress (job loss or change, death of a loved one,moving)
Emotional or physical discomfort.
Environmental factors like noise, light, or extreme temperatures (hot or cold) that interfere with sleep.
Interferences in normal sleep schedule (jet lag or switching from a day to night shift, for example).
I have been given some awesome suggestions to help with insomnia Tea, no caffeine before bedtime , No chocolate ( I am not doing so well with that one lol ) also it’s a good idea to go away from everything that could keep you awake T.V computer etc just relax read etc..
Always consult with your doctor if you have chronic Insomnia to ask advice for treatment.
Until next time ..
- Is insomnia normal? (zocdoc.com)
- Do people have more sleep problems the later they go to bed? (zocdoc.com)
- What can I do to rid myself of chronic insomnia? (zocdoc.com)
- Signs and Symptoms of Insomnia (brighthub.com)
- Reasons for Insomnia in Adults (brighthub.com)