When I first read the headline over at ARS Technica, I did a double take thinking I might have accidentally landed at the Onion News Network by mistake. After several sharp pinches to assure it was not a dream, I read on:
The Obama administration wants to make sure that the illegal streaming of music and movies over the Internet is a felony, and it also wants to give the federal government wiretap authority in copyright cases.
Victoria Espinel, the Obama administration’s IP Enforcement Coordinator, today released her long-awaited wish list (PDF) of intellectual property law changes. Most focus on counterfeit drugs and economic espionage, but the list does contain three suggestions more likely to have some effect on home Internet users.
The three suggestions, according to ARS Technica, are:
- Currently, according to her, distribution and reproducing are a felony. She thinks it should be extended to streaming
- Wire taps – currently, copyright infringement is not a valid reason to authorize a wire tap, she would like to have be a valid reason
- Radio station (broadcast) are currently exempt regarding performance right, she would like to kill the exemption
I would only endorse such a policy it it mandated saying “this administration bought from you by the RIAA and MPAA” at the end of every speech read by the administration.
My quick thoughts on each?
- No freaking way, make it a felony… like your college fund wasn’t enough!
- I think the long term goal is to make the list of valid reasons for a tap so huge that they will announce that, for the sake of simplicity, they have blanket authority
- Meh, who cares we are creative commons anyhow… however, broadcast radio is dying off on it’s own I see no need to legislatively assist it
We don’t need more laws. What we need is already happening, the actual musicians are starting to be self employed and earn a living by fan support without the need of a label or radio station. Long live the New Media Order.
- “Obama “IP czar” wants felony charges for illegal Web streaming” and related posts (musicindustryreport.org)
- Obama “IP czar” wants felony charges for illegal Web streaming (arstechnica.com)
- Obama Proposes Harsh New Copyright Laws for Internet (talesfromthelou.wordpress.com)
- Piracy: The Obama Tech Czar (vonfaustus.blogspot.com)
- Harsh Words for White House IP Czar (flyingpenguin.com)