Indie Nation Science News
This is the science news part of our news show here at indienation.fm.
We would also like to remind the listeners that we encourage listener participation through chat, comments and you are welcome to actually join us on the air. We do the show live almost every Monday from 8-10 PM DST. To find out how to join us on the air, contact us via our chat room on the Listen Page.
2014.09.22 – Tech Net News and Opinion
We opened this week’s show with Titanic and Cape Cod Girls from the album Choice Cuts by Water Street Bridge. You can find out more about this band by listening to the interview at the end of the newscast or by checking out the individual posting of the interview on Indie Nation. Join Brian and Lumpy as they discuss some Walking Dead spoilers and rumors, Google news in general, drones vs Star Wars and more in tech and science news. We would also like to remind the listeners that we encourage listener participation through chat, comments and you are welcome to actually join us on the air. To find out how to join us on the air, contact us via our chat room on the Listen Page.
- First off, the season premier is 12 October
- Season 5 Episode 2 – Another character from the comic, Father Gabriel.
- Carol is supposedly back at the end of the premier
- FYI – Lumpy did check, Walking Dead Season Marathon begins on 6 October
- The Air Herald reports that there will be a spin off
- There is talk about Beth, it seem that a trailer gave that and a few other things away
- Washington D.C. is in the storyline
- Beth has been in some of the teasers, possibly in a safe place
- It doesn’t look like Glenn dies by episode two
- The best cities for Internet (based on speed and/or price)
- Be kewl by looking the fool, strap your iPhone to your face
- Audible security loophole exploited
- A fewregarding Apple:
- Comcast denies TOR statements from customer
- Star Wars set needs a drone shield
- An analysis of the 5 million leaked gMail passwords
- Native Netflix support for Linux
We closed with a few more tracks from Water Street Bridge:
- Pay Me/Iko
- Zombie Jamboree
- Lumpy’s Interview with them at Gen Con 2014
Ironically, it may make sense to save a life by bringing it closer to death. The FDA has approved a procedure to induce a state of suspended animation via hypothermia. The research is now approved for clinical trials and the researcher is trying to gain funds to conduct a full trial.
Stem Cell Bandage May Solve Torn Meniscus
Azellon’s Cell Bandage has been designed as an alternative to the current treatment of surgical removal of the meniscus (meniscectomy), a procedure that more than 1.7 million people around the world per year are estimated to undergo. This common orthopaedic procedure often results in the early onset of osteoarthritis, leading to further joint surgery including total knee replacement.
Miracle Grow for Weed and WalMart of Weed
Welcome to the first episode of what may be a regular show here at Indie Nation. Before we even begin we do not wish to imply that this is an endorsement of marijuana use nor is it the opinion of the station. It is a little spur of the moment thing that Leiser and Lumpy decided to give a whirl. We always seem to run into such stories when we are digging the news for Stupid As Charged and believe that there is certainly an entertainment value to it.
Besides, the debate regarding the legalization of marijuana, not only for medical purposes but recreational as well, has been going on forever. Lumpy can ever recall Paul Harvey doing “The Rest of the Story” shows on “ditch weed” and, no joke, this cough syrup that performed so well that, feminizing the name in honor of his wife, the pharmacist named it Heroine.
According to an article at Fox News Latino, a central-southern American spider’s bit causes a four hour erection. I wonder if that would make you ignore the lack of muscle control, severe pain and breathing difficulties that the bite of Phoneutria nigriventer caused. The arachnid, also known as the Brazilian Wandering Spider is now the subject of research, despite the fact that the bite, on occasion, can be lethal.
The venom of this particular arachnid is cocktail of several toxins. According to Wikipedia, it was “in Guinness World Records 2010 as the world’s most venomous spider”. While it does not seem like something one would want injected into their body, it is thought that isolating specific molecules from the creature’s venom may have the potential to be a breakthrough for erectile dysfunction.
Research done on rats, indicates that a certain molecule in the venom does assist in erectile dysfunction. The venom may be a future alternative to Viagra. It impacts Mr. Happy in a different manner, thereby giving those left limp by the current little blue miracle pill another chance.
- This Exists: Spider Venom That Causes 4-Hour Erections Could Be ‘New Viagra’ (mediaite.com)
- This Spider the New Viagra? (latino.foxnews.com)
- Brazilian Spider Bite May Become the Next Viagra (idle.slashdot.org)
- Spider Venom Can Cause Four-Hour Erections (femaleimagination.wordpress.com)